Do you feel that you are not good enough? Do you feel that you drastically seeking attention or approval from others?
And when you brought up these things people often labeled you as an overly dramatic immature person? Maybe yes, but no. I believe that people should motivate one another so each one of us will gain self-esteem. According to Romans 12: 10 ” Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor.” So if you are seeking appreciation, it’s normal my dear. Do not feel guilty. Humans are naturally expecting appreciation from others. Each of us has an invisible tag hang around our neck saying “appreciate me”. Why? because we want to feel we are loved. And it’s normal.
But what if no one appreciates you? No one recognizes you?
I experienced the same way before and I felt so guilty. Add to that that there are people who will criticize you for what you feel. But through writing, this made me realized that what I’m feeling is valid. So if you are reading this article and feeling that no one appreciates you, hope you will consider the list below. These ideas help me to bring me back to composure and hope this will help you as well.
1. Surround yourself with people who will cheer you. Sometimes these people are your loved ones. But there are instances that your loved ones would not know what you are going through. Tell them. If they don’t reciprocate, it’s okay. Telling what you feel will give you a sense of relief.
2. Write what you feel. Write your pains, your expectations, your disappointment. Write it and you will see a miracle that your negative thoughts will be gone.
3. List all your good qualities. List down all the positive things that you have including your achievements. It’s not about being narcissistic, but learning to see good things in you.
4. Have a Self- Appreciation Day- Post your best pictures in Social Media Sites, treat yourself, have a new haircut, pamper yourself. According to Réné Gaudette, “Simply give to yourselves that which you need – which is love and appreciation without judgment.” Do not mind negative people. The less approval you get, the more chance you will develop an inner sense of approval.
5. Remember that God always sees the good in you. “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.” Matthew 5:14 as He says. Even though no one appreciates you, God will always will.
Hi, I’m Catherine Dizon and thank you for reading.